Well I finally have enough time to get on and blog about how baby Lorik came into the world. He is our miracle baby. We were very much not expecting Lorik. Hunter was born February 3rd and we got the news that Lorik was in the baking process in July. I had a c-section with hunter, so to have a subsequent pregnancy so close together can be very dangerous for mother and baby. So we were referred to a specialist who was more prepared to care for a high risk pregnancy. But sadly we were informed that we might not get to keep the baby because of the risks. Naturally we wanted what was best for my health and for baby's, but we weren't sure that achieving both would be possible. Apparently Lorik has some important business here on earth to attend to, because everything ran smoothly through the duration of the pregnancy, however because I was on heparin during my pregnancy and because of the risk of uterine rupture, Loriks birth had to be a planned c-section. Our doctor and specialist decided that the safest way to accomplish a c-section was to do it at 37 weeks gestation. So we planned an amniocentesis for the 17 of February to check for the maturity of the baby's lungs. If the test came out positive then a c-section would be scheduled for later that day. But because we have the worst luck ever, the test came out negative. The test is based on a number score, 50 being mature and anything below that immature. Loriks test came back with a number score of 34. With his lungs being immature, the c-section was considered dangerous and we were forced to re-schedule another amniocentesis for next week. Before we left the specialist ordered a non stress test to check for baby's heart rate and contractions. And as our bad luck would have it, the stress test measured contractions that fluctuated from 5 to 3 minutes apart. Which was a surprise to us because for the most part I was quite comfortable, besides the small inconvenience of not being able to eat or drink and Brandon being the devil and enjoying Pepsi in front of me, I felt fine. But to be safe we were sent to labor and delivery at Orem community to be hooked up to fetal monitors to watch the contractions. For those who have ever been in labor and delivery, you know that everything takes 5 hours to do. Brandon and I came to terms with the fact that we would probably be there all day. For the first few hours I was happy and comfortable. My cervix hadn't changed so we were confident that things were fine and we'd be able to go home shortly. However that was not in the cards for us. I started to get very uncomfortable. My contractions were coming faster and faster. I swear I was so ready to pull out all of Brandon's hair if he had had any. So we waited for a few more hours and nothing changed. The doctors plan of action was to check and see if there had been any changes to my cervix. And sure enough there was. I thought there damn well better be some change if I had just gone though 5 hours of pain. Before we even knew what was going on our visit to the hospital turned very quickly into a emergency. We ran the risk of my life with every contraction because the risk of rupture or detachment, while also risking Loriks life with delivery because his lungs were so immature. Because we were at such a small hospital, they didn't have the right equipment to care for such a premature baby. The only plan in place for Loriks safety was an awaiting ambulance to take him to another hospital that was more prepared with a NICU. So we prayed for the best and went ahead with the c-section because there was little time. We were in the operating room for what seemed like forever to me. All I wanted more then anything was to hear Lorik cry. When they finally pulled him out all I heard was silence. I swear those were the longest minutes of my life. All I could hear was the sound of nurses and doctors going back and forth in the small delivery room in a bit of a rush. And finally what I prayed for...I heard a cry. It was the most beautiful sound, Brandon and I were so happy. Later we learned that Lorik had been in a dangerous fetal position during all of my labor. His head was stuck in my pelvis and with every contraction, it was putting dangerous pressure on his head and neck. When he was delivered his face was so bruised that the nurses weren't sure he was breathing at all. When we took our first trip to the nursery to see him, and he opened his beautiful eyes, all we saw was read. It scared us to death. Because of all the pressure he had burst almost all the capillaries around his eyes. We then started to realize that if he had not been delivered when he was he might not be alive at all. All I can say is that our Heavenly Father must have big plans for him because he was so blessed to come into this crazy wild world healthy. As for Brandon and I we are doing well. We don't get much sleep with Hunter and Lorik being up constantly but were going with it. I was able to get up and walk around after a few days and haven't been bed ridden since, so we have been very blessed and we are so thankful for our miracle baby!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment